If you grew up going to youth group, then you’re about to get hit with a whole lot of flashbacks. Beyond the Break by Heather Buchta is a funny and gorgeous debut about a girl experiencing her first love. Well, second, if you count her faith… and that’s where things may get complicated.
Lovette’s weekly youth group meet-ups at her church are pretty familiar to some of us. So, here are 7 things from Beyond the Break anyone who grew up going to youth group will recognize (written by someone who recognized them.)
1. The super cheerful youth pastor who thinks he’s the coolest
Best known for saying things like “that’s so lit” and “tonight’s Bible study will be on fleek.”
2. The notorious LOCK-IN
And how you forgot how many spiders churches have until you’re snuggled in your sleeping bag on the floor watching The Princess Bride projected on the wall as one crawls by you.
3. The college guys who were *so cool* when they visited over the summer
Unfortunately they, too, had discovered they were cool by this point.
4. That one guy at youth group who always carries his guitar but isn’t actually on worship team
You just know his name was Dave or something. There’s a 90% chance his hair was constantly hanging over his eyes.
5. The couches you used to hang out on with your best friends before and after youth group
Even though they were approximately one million years old.
6. Endless games of Capture the Flag
You were either one of the highly competitive people or someone who was just trying to survive the highly competitive people. There is no in-between.
7. Group outings via six minivans
And there was always an unspoken rule around which car/driver was best.
Start reading the first 4 chapters of Beyond the Break here and click here to get your copy